Ads by Adbrite

Your Ad Here

Ads by adbrite

Your Ad Here

Friday, May 21, 2010

Simon Cowell Tells Oprah His 'Time's Up' On 'American Idol'

The end of "American Idol" season nine next week will also bring the departure of controversial-yet-adored judge Simon Cowell. The Brit appeared on Thursday's (May 20) "Oprah Winfrey Show" to discuss his reasons for leaving, whether he'll miss the show and why he's starting a new, seemingly similar show.
Oprah started the interview by asking Cowell point-blank why he's leaving "Idol." "Time's up," he answered. "It feels like the right thing to do."
The often sharp-tongued Brit said part of the reason behind his departure is due to boredom. "After a while, you start to go on automatic pilot. Too many times I was sitting there [at the judges' table] bored. The audience deserves more than that ... and I can't hide when I'm bored."
To combat that boredom, Cowell said he's launching a U.S. version of his "X Factor" talent show that, although similar to "Idol," will have several differences. "It's different because there's no upper age limit. ... Singing groups can enter the show," he explained. "I have no idea whether it's going to work or not, but I'll put its success and failure on whether we can find a star."
Oprah then asked if Cowell is bored on "Idol" now why he would move on to yet another talent show. "I actually like doing it, funny enough," he said. "I remember Fantasia singing 'Summertime,' and for three minutes, I lost myself. I like the buzz it creates. You want to be part of something people are talking about. I love that feeling."
While recalling some of his favorite contestants (Carrie Underwood and Fantasia) Cowell readily admitted that his "big ego" often gets in his way — particularly with the case of Susan Boyle's now-famous audition on "Britain's Got Talent"
"On the day [of her audition], I was in such a bad mood, I didn't want to be there, I never thought we'd find anyone good," he remembered. "When I watched the clip back, I actually hated myself. We're all sneering, we're not listening. I didn't like what I saw. It was a wake-up call, and I was happy she made us look stupid, because we deserved it."
Yet all in all, and given his track record (and reported $1 billion net worth from his various productions), Cowell said he's confident he can still find undiscovered talent: "I do trust my judgment as somebody who can spot a potential star."
Regarding his impending "Idol" departure, Cowell said he expects his last night on the ratings juggernaut to be poignant.
"The final night will be quite emotional," he told Oprah. "I've had a great time. I love working over here [in the U.S.] and never thought I would."
What did you think of Cowell's interview? Let us know in the comments!
Get your "Idol" fix on MTV News' "American Idol" page, where you'll find all the latest news, interviews and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment